Very few people know that it actually doesn’t take much to let yourself dwell in a feeling of decadence and luxury. You don’t have to spend a lot of money, nor do you have to travel to a distant destination. No, you just have to activate your inner child and surprise your adult self with an unexpected pleasure. For example, eating pizza for breakfast. When we have children over at our house and surprise them with a special breakfast or brunch idea – for example a biscuit, muffin, cake, waffle or pizza – they often remember it years later. That’s how the feeling of luxury works. It’s really simple. You just have to take a “guilty pleasure” (e.g. pizza) and put it in an unfamiliar context (breakfast) – that’s the secret! The child in us will rejoice at the unexpected pleasure, the adult will appreciate that we have chosen a healthy version of a sinful temptation.
By the way, I believe that we always have different people within us whom we have to make happy with our food. Incidentally, this is also the reason why many nutritional concepts don’t work. There is the child in us who has its habits and longings from an early age on and probably still prefers to eat French fries with ketchup for lunch. And there is the adult who wants to take care of his health / lose weight and has therefore put french fries with ketchup on his prohibited list. If the adult is the only one to determine our diet, there is always a pouting child at the table who will use every weak moment to get his fries / chips / ice cream / pizza. If the child alone rules our eating habits, the chances are good that our adult bodies will become fat and unfit. So it depends on the mix. From mind and emotion; from pleasure and health; of pleasure and common sense.
My favorite recipes build exactly this bridge and make the child and the adult in us equally happy. While the child can enjoy his pizza, the adult is satisfied because it consists of natural ingredients. My Easter egg pizza is perfect for the Easter brunch for the whole family – the inner as well as the outer. The dough and green sauce can be prepared the day before, so that the next morning you can finish the dish easily and quickly. The pizza does not use yeast and so the dough is made in a flash from oatmeal and yoghurt. The basic herb sauce works as a topping and as an aromatic bed for the Easter eggs that are baked on the pizza. The rocket does the rest to give the pizza the look of an Easter nest.
EXCHANGE TIPS: if you want to make the pizza without eggs, you can use mozzarella or feta or – for a vegan variant – pre-cooked green or white asparagus. Instead of the green sauce, a thick tomato sauce will also work. Spelt flour can also be used instead of oat flour.
And now my question for you: do you have a favorite dish that makes the child and the adult in you equally happy? Then leave a comment under this post. I look forward to reading from you!
EASTER EGG PIZZA
For the pizza dough:
- 230 g oat flour plus a little more to sprinkle
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tartar baking powder
- 250 g yogurt e.g. from sheep, goat or vegan
- some olive oil to brush the dough
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- 200 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 100 g parsley roughly chopped
- 100 g zucchini diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 handful of rocket
- food processor
- Preheat the oven to 220°C with circulating air and top heat.
- Mix all the ingredients for the pizza dough in a bowl and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This makes the dough easier to shape.
- For the topping, puree the garlic, olive oil, parsley, zucchini, cumin and salt in a food procesor. If all the ingredients don't fit in the food processor at once, then simply puree in two steps.
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper and dust with oatmeal. Divide the pizza dough into two portions and place them next to each other on the baking sheet with floured hands in an oval shape. A rolling pin can also be used for this. Brush the surface with a little olive oil, then bake for 10 minutes until the dough is lightly browned.
- Take the dough out of the oven and switch to 220°C top and bottom heat. Brush the pizzas with the herb topping. Open two eggs at a time and carefully slide them onto the surface of the pizzas. Bake for another 7-8 minutes, until the eggs have the desired consistency. Serve with rocket - leaving the eggs free - and serve immediately.