Every time we bring a new cookbook out, I am curious to see which recipes readers will pounce on first. In our new book “Schön & Gesund” (if you don’t know the book yet, you can take a look at the little movie below), one of them is definitely the carrot and sweet potato soup with harissa oil. And that doesn’t surprise me, because it fits perfectly into the time between winter and spring. Precisely this season, when it’s still cool and damp, is a phase in which our immune system needs a little extra support. And this is exactly what the brightly colored soup delivers in abundance. Like most foodies, I’m a color junkie. The more colorful a meal is, the better. On different levels, colors are good for us. The orange in this soup, for example, reveals that it contains numerous carotenoids that strengthen the immune system and stimulate the metabolism. Just the thing to kiss our body out of hibernation. In addition, the carotenoids act as sun protection from the inside and prepare our skin for the first strong spring sun and make it more resistant. On the emotional level, the color orange has an uplifting and strengthening effect and supports the “flow”. The old yogis already knew that orange supports the second chakra, which stands for all areas in our lives that should “flow”: creativity, relationships, sex and money … .
So this soup is a stimulating affair in itself, but the harissa oil gives it the final kick. It’s quick to make, and what I love about it is that it gives even the simplest of dishes a wonderfully intense flavor.
And now my question for you: did you ever feel the impact the color of your food has on your moods? I’m looking forward to your comment below!
CARROT AND SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH HARISSA OIL
For the soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 350 g carrots roughly sliced
- 350 g sweet potatoes peeled and roughly diced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 400 ml water
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
For the harissa oil:
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and briefly sauté the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric and cumin. Reduce to medium temperature and add the carrots and sweet potatoes and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Deglaze with coconut milk and water and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until carrots and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add the lemon juice, then puree the whole thing in a blender or with a hand blender until creamy. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm with the lid closed.
- Mix all ingredients for the harissa oil together until smooth.
- Pour the soup into bowls and serve drizzled with the harissa oil.